Skip to main content
UMW Libraries
Simpson | Stafford | Special Collections

Student Employment

This is guide for students who are interested in working at Simpson Library.

Where to start

Students who are interested in working at Simpson Library need to begin by filling out an application at the Office of Financial Aid.

Eligibility is determined by the Office of Financial Aid, so the job search must begin there. However, do keep in mind that a 2.0 GPA is required for all library assistant positions.

The Online Employment Application along with a lot of helpful information can be found at the Student Employment website.

If you want to increase your chances of working in the library, put the library as your first choice on your application.

How the Process Works:

Filling out the online Application for Student Employment with the Office of Financial Aid is the first step. Please keep in mind that the Office of Financial Aid determines a student's eligibility for campus employment.

The library Student Supervisors post job openings to the Student Employment Portal. You can also contact Student Supervisors via email, but only after you have applied for an opening.  Please do not come to the library unannounced and ask to speak with the student supervisor about a position for which you have applied.

Student Supervisors review applications and contact students directly.  You will be asked to submit your academic schedule to determine if the available position will work with your availability.  Students usually are scheduled to come in to the library for an informal interview where we explain the available positions to see if you are interested in the type of work we have. Selections are based on experience, availability and flexibility. We often are looking for a student who can fill a particular shift. Student Supervisors may not be able to hire you on the spot; rather they may need to compare your availability to the requirements of the position. The Student Supervisor will let you know when you can expect to hear back from them.

Once you are hired, you will need to go back to the Office of Financial Aid to fill out additional paperwork. All student employees are required to fill out:

  • The Direct Deposit form
  • The I-9 form
  • The Federal W-4 form
  • The State VA-4 withholding form
  • The Student Work Agreement
  • The Confidentiality Form
  • The Alcohol Policy form.

All of these can be found on the Student Employment website.

After the Office of Financial Aid has everything that they need, they will submit a Work Authorization Form either directly to the department that has hired you or give it to you directly. Your department must have the Work Authorization Form before you begin work. Your supervisor will let you know when that has been received.