Why cite? Citing your sources:
- Supports your claims and helps readers understand your viewpoints.
- Shows readers how you arrived at your positions on issues.
- Gives credit to the authors whose works you use.
- Helps your readers find other works on the same topic.
- Allows your readers to check your sources if they have any questions.
This guide is designed to help you understand and use the major citation style guides. Click on the tabs above or the links below to navigate this site. The Libraries also subscribe to EasyBib, which generates both citations and bibliographies / works cited in a variety of styles.
See also Research and Documentation Online. (Click on "Sample Papers" to see examples of research papers.)
Tips & Tricks
Zotero is a free software program that helps you keep track of your sources. It generates citations and bibliographies automatically, with no typing -- just a few clicks.